Korean Food Story
- Shabnam(이슬) / 2014.12.05
A single person bapsang(meal table). Each person was given a table in traditional dining setting.
Korean chopsticks and spoon made of stainless steel.
Dining etiquette in Korea can be traced back to the Confucian philosophies of the Joseon period. Guidebooks, such as Sasojeol (士小節, Elementary Etiquette for Scholar Families), written in 1775 by Yi Deokmu (이덕무; 李德懋), comment on the dining etiquette for the period. Suggestions include items such as "when you see a fat cow, goat, pig, or chicken, do not immediately speak of slaughtering, cooking or eating it", "when you are having a meal with others, do not speak of smelly or dirty things, such as boils or diarrhea," "when eating a meal, neither eat so slowly as to appear to be eating against your will nor so fast as if to be taking someone else's food. Do not throw chopsticks on the table. Spoons should not touch plates, making a clashing sound", amongst many other recommendations which emphasized proper table etiquette.
The eldest male at the table was always served first, commonly served to them in the men's quarters by the women of the house. Women usually dined in a separate portion of the house after the men were served. The eldest men or women always ate before the younger family members. The meal was usually quiet, as conversation was discouraged during meals. In modern times, these rules have become lax, as families usually dine together now and use the time to converse. Of the remaining elements of this decorum, one is that the younger members of the table should not pick up their chopsticks or start eating before the elders of the table or guests and should not finish eating before the elders or guests finish eating.
In Korea, unlike in China, Japan and Vietnam, the rice or soup bowl is not lifted from the table when eating from it. This is due to the fact that each diner is given a metal spoon along with the chopsticks known collectively as sujeo. The use of the spoon for eating rice and soups is expected. There are rules which reflect the decorum of sharing communal side dishes; rules include not picking through the dishes for certain items while leaving others, and the spoon used should be clean, because usually diners put their spoons in the same serving bowl on the table. Diners should also cover their mouths when using a toothpick after the meal.
The table setup is important as well, and individual place settings, moving from the diner's left should be as follows: rice bowl, spoon, then chopsticks. Hot foods are set to the right side of the table, with the cold foods to the left. Soup must remain on the right side of the diner along with stews. Vegetables remain on the left along with the rice, and kimchi is set to the back while sauces remain in the front.
The manner of drinking alcoholic drinks at dining is significant in Korean dining etiquette. Each diner is expected to face away from the eldest male and cover his mouth when drinking alcohol. According to Hyang Eum Ju Rye (향음주례; 鄕飮酒禮), the drinking etiquette established in Choseon Dynasty, it is impolite for a king and his vassal, a father and his son, or a teacher and his student to drink face to face. Also, a guest should not refuse the first drink offered by host, and in the most formal situations, the diner should politely refuse twice a drink offered by the eldest male or a host. When the host offers for the third time, then finally the guest can receive it. If the guest refuses three times, drink is not to be offered any more.
Best KOKO Village
- 1 171018 Eunwoo on BOM BOM CAFE #아스트로 #차은우 #붐붐카페 ✡️ https://t.co/WAVifc1gao
- 2 SM Dancers, Instructors
- 3 ((FLASHBACK))[TEASER] 2017.05.29 12:00PM ASTRO 4th Mini Album 'Dream Part.01' Concept Photo #01 #차은우 #문빈 #ASTRO #D_STORE #Dream_Part01
- 4 ((FLASHBACK)) [TEASER] 2017.05.29 12:00PM ASTRO 4th Mini Album 'Dream Part.01' Concept Photo #01 #진진 #라키 #ASTRO #D_STORE #Dream_Part01
- 5 ((FLASHBACK)) [TEASER] 2017.05.29 12:00PM ASTRO 4th Mini Album 'Dream Part.01' Concept Photo #01 #MJ #윤산하 #ASTRO #D_STORE #Dream_Part01
Best KOKO Board
- I can't wait for next weekend to watch the new episodes of "My Golden Life"!!! I just love the chara...
- Happy Friday every1 whats your plan for weekend? I Think i'll visit Hagia Sophia and Ortaköy then E...
- LIKE IF YOU WOULD DIE FOR KPOP AND BTS!!
- KBS drama Mad dog ost- What I want- somehow i found it on youtube.
- Fanwars in twitter are everywhere. It's toxic. I need to calm myself, that's why I'm here. Koko Worl...