My neighbor, Charles Ep. 122 Review / Cintia Mancilla# Drama 2017.08.11 View : 1017
My Neighbor, Charles is a KBS reality program that shows the daily routine of foreigners who are living in South Korea. The reasons why they decided to leave their countries may vary but all of them will face equal challenges and experiences.
I hadn't watched it before but the theme of this variety show caught my attention. If you have never lived abroad, you will feel curious about how life is there, culture shocks and language barrier in case of living in a country where you don’t speak or master the language.
I decided to watch one of the latest episodes uploaded on KBS world YouTube channel. I watched the episode 122 that follows the story of Jose from Ecuador and his son, Hyeonbin, giving an update of their lives after their TV appearance a year ago on episode 83.
Jose, an Ecuadorian and proud Inca descendant living in South Korea since 1997, works hard to raise his son, Hyeonbin, as a single father and keeps his band, Kawsay, on board, bringing traditional South American rhythms to South Korea.
In life you usually find struggles and hard times no matter where you are living but if you maintain your hopes high and keep up a positive attitude, you will realize that good things are always in front of you. This is the case of Jose, suffering from not being able to communicate well with his son, who shows no effort to learn Spanish or music and to deal with his bad behaviors, frequently seen in young boys who are entering puberty. Furthermore, he is missing a mother figure that Jose tried hard to fill when his wife left his home after divorce.
As a son of a musician, Jose wants his son to learn to play different musical instruments so he can be part of their concerts. A great chance of getting closer to his son appears when he is invited to be a substitute teacher at Hyeonbin’s school. Nervousness and worries fill him as he thinks about how the students would react to a foreigner dad, but all that disappear when they enjoy watching his live performance and playing musical instrumental made for them. Hyeonbin's big smile showed how happy and proud he was of his father.
It was the big day of the live concert that they had been preparing together for a while. Jose constantly remembers his Ecuadorian roots even though he is far from his country. The new technologies are helpful to make each other feel closer. Talking by phone and showing Hyeonbin to his mom makes him forget about the distance.
This episode makes me feel that “The heart is where you want it to be,” and his heart is divided between two countries far away from one another. Nevertheless, one was the land where he was born, giving him pride of his cultural roots that he wants to share with the world, and the other gave him open arms to settle and raise a precious son.
It is a pleasant and emotional show to watch with all the family. You will feel touched by the story of their lives and eager to know more about them.
Best KOKO Village
- 1 B1A4 DO YOU REMEMBER FULL SONG
- 2 B1A4 'DO YOU REMEMBER' MV (short ver. )
- 3 B1A4 ROLLIN' Dance Practice Video
- 4 The song is a live recorded song at SHINee World D X D X D X in Japan concert. But when I listen to it, without any effort my mind only clashed and stopped in his voice and eyes. I didn’t hear the noise of cheers, music that time. It’s like a medication. I had felt the same experience when I go to the sea. When we walk to the sea we hear a huge noise of waves. By the time we stay in the beach without any concerns we feel a silent inside of that noise of the sea. Try may be you too feel the same.
- 5 I'm so sorry to hear the death of Actor Jun Taesoo. I really can't forget his role in Sungkyukwan scandal. though he did the opposite role, he pulled many love of the viewers by his look and the sorrowful, proud character. I liked his sister Ha Jiwon so much. I think she missed him a lot.
Best KOKO Board
- 제 친애하는 코코 안녕하세요 . 잘 지내세요 ? 지금 여기에서 비가 오고 있다...
- Hi Koko! I was gone for quite a while but it's so good to be back! Loving the dramas My Golden ...
- This a song make us happy .
- This is cool. Let's do watch everyone. I'm here to support The Unit all the way. photo cr...
- Dear Koko, Wish You a Happy Lunar New Year!!!!